The innovation fields
Clean Meat The population is growing, the climate is changing, and we have reduced land and water for farming activities – that’s why we need to get smarter and more efficient around how we make food.
This field focuses on the biotechnology required to produce genuine meat grown in vitro. This will enable the production of meat that is healthier, more efficiently produced, ethical, and environmentally sustainable.
Aspects of this include:
• Technologies that enable the economically viable, large-scale production of clean meat and seafood, such as animal component-free media, high-yield cell line development, industrial bioreactors or automation platform
• Technologies like tissue engineering and regenerative medicine that enable the next generation of structured meat products, such as edible scaffolds/biomaterials, 3D cell culture processes or 3D printing
Biosensing & Interfaces
This field focuses on the interface between the biological and digital world. We aim to decentralize and democratize the healthcare model and empower patients to better manage their health.
• Medical treatment tailored and adaptive to patient condition
• Measurement of and response to external stimuli and metabolic reactions
• Outcome- and value-based treatments, in which drugs are only reimbursed when the desired patient outcome is achieved
We are looking for bio-sensing modalities that can be used in a decentralized way, such as… sensors in patches / VOC sensors / ingestible or implantable sensors / sensors for mobile devices. They can also be used in data analytics, or the collected data can be utilized in compliance with regulations, for example. In this context, we are looking to partner with companies who can help make healthcare data tangible and manageable using novel data analytics to extract insights. We are also seeking partners that are active within our therapeutic areas of expertise, such as autoimmune diseases, neurology, fertility, oncology, cardiovascular health, and diabetes.
We are especially interested in collaborating with startups in:
• Disorders/conditions with a high unmet need
• Technologies focusing on analytes that are clinically applicable to a wide range of conditions or conditions with a low genetic determinate
• Technologies focusing on sensor technology, particularly in which combinations of sensors can detect the same analyte in different ways or one sensor can detect many analytes
A liquid biopsy is a simple and non-invasive test to identify various diseases by detecting biomarkers in body fluids. It is a key technology for early disease detection and expanding the delivery of precision medicine to more patients.
This field focuses on technological solutions to overcome unresolved challenges in the liquid biopsy workflow as well as on applications beyond cancer.
Aspects of this include:
• New technologies that help overcome bottlenecks in the liquid biopsy workflow such as the isolation of specific body fluid components or biomarkers
• Liquid biopsies for indications beyond oncology where existing diagnosis or surveillance methods are inadequate and have significant limitations due to their invasiveness
We are interested in collaborating with startups in following fields:
• Digital biomarkers for non-invasive disease monitoring or bioinformatic solutions supporting the post-analytical workflow
• Tools to connect existing devices or workflows
• Solutions to reduce medical and experimental errors across the workflow
• Innovative solutions that optimize sampling logistics and quality assessment
• Methods for the enrichment of relevant molecules